Freezing rain creates treacherous conditions for SE Fire Departments
Temperatures just above freezing have created slick conditions across lower Southeast Michigan. Fire Departments have responded to multiple accidents that have taxed resources. Fire service units from across the state have responded to multiple road run offs to fatal accidents due to high speeds and slick conditions.
Major Accidents Include
- Multiple accidents from Brighton to Howell which included the complete closure of I-96 in multiple locations. Two of the accidents involved over 20 cars and many serious injuries.
- Telegraph Road near I-96 has resulted in a 30 car accident which involved multiple fire department apparatus.
- Complete closure of I-75 near Detroit and in the City of Detroit
- Washtenaw county is reporting over 30 accidents on I-94
- Harper Woods Fire Department, Engine 1 was involved in an accident (road runoff into utility pole) while responding to a MVA. Per the Fire Chief the vehicle was responding at a slow rate (less then 20 mph) and went just off the road way.
Let us know about your lessons learned as the resources were taxed.
Be safe out there and make sure you protect your work area!